Scientific Third Wayism

Brad Mayer concrete at dnai.com
Sat Feb 3 11:28:23 PST 2001

Ah, this was choice. An interview full of gems of wisdom for the 'futuristic' technogensia, alerting them to "bad influences" within their home turf. Think there's a connection with Mad Cow?: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- EDGE: I was just writing something myself: "Today the interesting and important work in science is A. about computation, B. the result of computation, or C. informed through the models of computation. The metaphor of computation has emerged as the key unifying theme of what I call the Third Culture. Software and computation is reshaping civilization; that's the big story in intellectual life today. David Gelernter, a computer scientist, says, 'It's the beginning of everything; everything's up for grabs, everything will change - there is a magnificent sweep of intellectual landscape right in front of us.'" Does that resonate? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------- http://www.edge.org has worked up quite a sputtering lather over this glorious new horizon. At just this resonant moment giddens whispers a dialetical tale into the digital linear computational ear: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------- GIDDENS: Let me tell you a little parable. There was an older man, who, as older men do, fell in love with a young woman.

--- hmm, this have anything to do with the wanker otaku stuff? --

And even though he's terribly pressed at work, he sends her several messages a day and eagerly awaits each message as it comes through to carry on this romance. And you might think that's an e-technology, an e-mail romance.

--- but no, you're wrong, it's just the same old crap ---

But actually it's Prime Minister Asquith with a friend of his daughter's, who he fell in love with in 1915. In 1915 there were eight mail deliveries in London. You could interchange eight messages within a short period of time and carry on a dialogue, which is now impossible because you're very lucky if your letter gets there the next day. That's what I mean by the fact that there's no such thing as unilinear technology. You can't say that everything is changing, because this is a world where, although everything changes, in a certain sense everything stays the same, and that's the kind of accommodation we make to technological change.

--- more precisely, that's the kind of acommodation technological change makes to Giddens' Imperial "We" ---

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 12:12 AM Subject: Scientific Third Wayism