Sociology of Bushies: After Meritocracy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:10:59 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>In that and other ways, Clinton does remind me of Harding. And I have the
>>feeling that Clinton is destined to be seen as the same colossal figure as
>>H. in the eyes of history.
>
>Believe it or not, Clinton's approval ratings were pretty high ...

I believe the charismatic Harding was warmly regarded by contemporaries as well. Today he is a mere figure of fun -- the first to recognize the White House's potential as a bully playpen for backstairs grab-ass antics. Even in that competition he beats Clinton because at least he wrote his own pick-up lines. After all, Clinton had to rip off Walt Whitman to loosen up Monica, but Harding was quite capable of pitching woo singlehandedly -- penning stuff like the following to mistress: "I love you garbed but naked more!"

Clinton, OTOH, is a disappointment in every, er, conceivable way.