value theory

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at wppost.depaul.edu
Wed Feb 7 11:28:12 PST 2001

Sounds dubious to me. I'll admit that I gave up on value theory a long time ago, but what does equilibrium analysis have to do with it, in any case? The problem is deriving price from value (not value from price as in Vol. III). Until you can do that, you can't derive profit from surplus value, you can't really produce a value-based theory of the firm, arguments about the declining rate of profit go on hiatus or are reduced to vulgar empiricism, and so forth. Where does a theory of partial or general equilibrium enter into this?

I hear a vague squishing sound. Perhaps I've stepped in it this time....

Michael McIntyre

From: "Drewk" <Andrew_Kliman at msn.com>

A "COPERNICAN REVOLUTION" IN MARXIAN VALUE THEORY?

Alan Freeman and Andrew Kliman

Thursday, February 22, 2001, at 7:30 pm

Brecht Forum 122 West 27th Street, 10th floor (Manhattan) Phone: (212) 242-4201 www.brechtforum.org

Sliding Scale: $6 / $8 / $10

Value theory has frequently become an abstruse branch of "Marxian economics" that bears only a tenuous relation to the realities of capitalism. This situation arises, we suggest, because Marxian economists have become consumed by internal anomalies, the alleged "logical errors" of Marx's value theory that they have tried to resolve within the general equilibrium paradigm of orthodox economics. Yet by jettisoning the equilibrium paradigm, researchers from many nations have discovered that Marx's theoretical conclusions re-emerge, free from logical error. The concept of value once again reflects real-world processes of capitalist production, exchange, technological change, growth, and crisis. The new value theory offers an account of today's global economy that is coherent and arguably superior to orthodoxy.

Alan Freeman, co-editor of and contributor to _Marx and Non-equilibrium Economics_, teaches economics at the University of Greenwich (UK).

Andrew Kliman, a contributor to _Marx and Non-equilibrium Economics_, teaches economics at Pace University in Pleasantville, NY.