HuffyTon

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Feb 8 19:43:56 PST 2001

Peter Kosenko wrote:

>I put it in quotation marks to indicate that

>there was possibly some humor involved.

Perhaps you could put a check next to sloth on your PDA self-improvement test, the "Seven Deadly Sins". While you're are at it put a check next to pride since anyone who thinks the comment is humor clearly thinks too highly of himself.

>But I generally try to resist being overly "politically

>correct" (as fraught as that term is by overuse by the

>right) when responding to other people.

When do you succumb to being overly politically correct then? Strictly when responding to yourself?

>Have we grown that puritanical that the sentence below

>is taken to be a sign that I am a "male chauvinist pig"?

Are we so incapable of intelligent discourse that we "contribute" by posting insignificant commentary to this list every time we experience bouts of mental and emotional incontinence? Are we so incapable of real argument that we need to use cheap rhetorical devices to marshal the authority of the "we" to your defense? Or perhaps it is just that you are talking to yourself again?

>Also, I was wondering how people would respond to it

>without even knowing who I am.

If you don't wonder how people might respond to you when they don't know you, regardless of the supposed humorous content, then you should probably have someone check that out for you. I'd suggest the same person who checks out that "invisible friends" problem you seem to have.