Baudrillard

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Fri Feb 9 03:50:44 PST 2001

Baudrillard has been taken apart quite a bit as one of the most egregious examples "postmodern" academic puffery and obscurantism and French academic celebrity culture -- strangely more respected here probably than there these days, but I don't know (I no longer prowl academic halls). When I was attending the West Coast Headquarters of the deconstructionist mafia, Mark Poster published a book "The Mode of Information," based (probably) on the idea that the critique of "productionism" in "The Mirror of Production" indicated that there was some fundamental shift to an "information economy" (as if "information" never existed in human experience before, although it may have been called something else -- a painting is "information," if you want to CALL it that, and so are double-entry ledger books) that somehow was a quantum leap into some other kind of society. I remember not being very convinced and reading Theodore Roszac's (?) "The Cult of Information" to greater satisfaction later.

Last book I read related to this matter, and which I found cogent, was Michael Perelman's "Class Warfare in the Information Age," little known, it seems. I see that he has contributed to the list, so I would like to thank him for the book. I would recommend it.

The comment "Oubliez Baudrillard!" was a pun on the title of Baudrillard's book "Oubliez Foucault!" -- a diatribe and hatchet job on Michel Foucault written when Baudrillard was trying to cement his "reputation" in the "everything is media"/"there is no reality" involution of French intellectual culture (at least such as I was being exposed to).

This is not even a discussion of the issues (there IS a critique on can do of "productionism" as ideology -- after all Ayn Rand is full of that crap -- but I don't think it is through Baudrillard), just an explanation of the background of the pun on Baudrillard's book. These days I have an entirely different job and am necessarily involved in other things. The "oracular" style of French theory and its influence in the field of literature and art was not one that I could quite take to. Too much fucking jargonizing for its own sake.

Peter Kosenko

P.S. Obviously most of you have more time than I have, so I will try to be back when I actually have something more concrete to say about some issue. Mostly signed on to listen in, since there are interesting things on the list.

Here's a link to an old essay: http://www.netwood.net/~kosenko/jackson.html

-- ============================================================= Peter Kosenko Email: mailto:kosenko at netwood.net URL: http://www.netwood.net/~kosenko Netwood Design Center URL: http://ndc.netwood.net/ ============================================================= "Man is a rational animal. He can think up a reason for anything he wants to believe."--Benjamin Franklin