African universities to charge tuition

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Fri Feb 9 10:18:10 PST 2001

> Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:14:32 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> [I see the World Bank identified as a participant, but I'm guessing
> it was the prime mover. Patrick, anyone else - know more about this?
> Is this part of the whole WB user fee campaign?]

The guru on this is a fantastic autonomist-marxist from Brooklyn (teaching in Maine), George Caffentzis. He did a great article recently on the general topic of WB in African higher ed. Will look for it tomorrow...

Meanwhile, to give you a sense of how extremist those commodifier/stratifiers are at 18 and H Sts, check this stuff written 11 months ago and released for public comment:

Work is still needed with political leaders in some national

governments to move away from the concept of free water for all.

That appeared a month after our (nominally communist) water minister, Ronnie Kasrils, very publicly promised free water (he's been sabotaged by neolib bureaucrats ever since). In more detail from the same document, here are the specific commands to Bank flunkies in Africa:

Promote increased capital cost recovery from

users. An upfront cash contribution based on

their willingness-to-pay is required from users

to demonstrate demand and develop community

capacity to administer funds and tariffs. Ensure

100% recovery of operation and maintenance

costs.

World Bank (2000), "Sourcebook on Community Driven Development in the Africa Region--Community Action Programs."

And to justify this microneoliberalism they run a line about "demand-responsive" "sustainable" strategies, which essentially means No Subsidies (esp. cross-subsidies) Allowed!

So following their advice, we've just had 40,000 (known) cholera cases in SA the last six months. Official death toll is now above 90 (but is likely way low).