Lenin in Essen

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:50:46 PST 2001

>Does it mean anything to be a Leninist in 2001?
>Doug Henwood ...
>
>Lenin also said that
>company accounts were getting incrasingly murky, in order to hide all
>kinds of self-dealing and other financial chicanery. While there are
>some exceptions, this is hardly an accurate description of the
>present, when "transparency" is all the rage.

I think *you're* out of sync with current reality here, Doug. Off the top of my head, I can cite Xerox, Lucent, Cendant, Rite Aid, and Cisco as examples of major companies that have had either huge accounting scandals of late -- long undiscovered by supposedly crack auditors -- or grave suspicions concerning their bookkeeping. This vaunted "transparency" is just so much, ah, PR puffery.