RES: Lenin in Essen

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sat Feb 10 06:30:06 PST 2001

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de John Mage Enviada em: sábado, 10 de fevereiro de 2001 02:49 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: Lenin in Essen

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nor is
> there any compelling evidence of a trend towards monopoly. A study of
> 20 industrial sectors published last summer in the Harvard Business
> Review found increased concentration of market share in only one,
> semiconductors.

Did they include commercial banking?...investment banking?...tv/cable/movie studios and distribution/record companies/commercial book and magazine publishing ("media")? Or by industrial did they mean "manufacturing"? And just how much more concentrated could aircraft, tires, petroleum refining, soap and other detergents, etc. get?

john mage

-I don´t know too much about the other things mentioned by John mage, but -I´m surprised about aircraft. At least if you consider jet commercial -aircraft, there has been a dramatic concentration in the last 50 years, -both in the USA and in the world. Nowadays, only Boeing and Airbus (and -Ilyushin and Tupolev in Russia, but only for the local market) makes -aircraft for more than 100 passengers. Before the 70´s we had also -Loockheed, Douglas, Convair, Sud Aviation, Bristol, De Havilland, etc.. -(many of those planes designed for long range travels carried less than -100 passengers, but they were the bigger in their time, so the comparison -is useful). Am I wrong???

Alexandre