Right-Wing Populism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 10 10:48:58 PST 2001

Kelley wrote:

>why on earth should we call something centrist? what on earth could
>that possibly mean? the best shot you give, below, is that they are
>against the two parties. well, that makes them *for* nothing
>actually so centrism is what? nothing?
>
>the use of the word "centrist" is a cop out by people who are
>ashamed for one reason or another to identify with this or that
>policy.

But that includes much, maybe most, of the American electorate. They don't want to rock the boat; they reject extremism of all kinds; and value the candidate's personal qualities over ideology. Basically, to quote the old Bush I arms control formula, it's status quo plus - an inertia that was hardwired into the U.S. system of government by the constitution.

Doug