Lenin in Essen

Sun Feb 11 07:59:24 PST 2001

Roger Odisio wrote:

>So don't look for "trends" from snapshot data, Doug. Try to understand
>the underlying dynamics, which focuses on the creation of surplus value,
>not reported profits, both at the firm level and in the aggregate. This
>is the same point I have made to you in countless rants against your
>misunderstanding of Marx's Falling Rate of Profit tendency. Thought for
>the day: tendencies and dialectics, not trends.

In other words, if the data don't tell you what you want to hear, redefine and rework the data until they do.

((((((((

CB: Doesn't most of the evidence support the notion that state-monopoly is the data shape of capitalism in 2001 ? Why is it that the hedge fund couldn't go bankrupt if it wasn't in a monopoly category qualitatively different than millions of small businesses ?