Murray on prole models

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:18:46 PST 2001

Actually, immediately after the lines I quoted in my previous post Pound has lines that apply pretty well to Murray himself:

and the fabians crying for the petrification of putrefaction,

the conservatives chatting,

distinguished by gaiters of slum-flesh

and the back-scratchers in a great circle,

complaining of insufficient attention,

the search without end, counterclaim for the missing scratch

the litigious,

a green bile-sweat, the news owners, ....s

boredom born out of boredom,

british weeklies, copies of the ..........c,

a multiple ...... nn,

and I said, "How is it done?"

and my guide:

This sort breeds by scission,

This is the fourmillionth tumour.

In this _bolge_ bores are gathered,

Infinite pus, scabs of a lasting pox.

skin-flakes, repetitions, erosions,

endless rain from the arse-hairs,

as the earth moves, the centre

passes over all parts in succession,

a continual bum-belch

distributing its production.

(Canto XV)

[god that man's cadences were perfect -- he could have turned a fanny farmer recipe for beets into beauty.]

Doesn't that about sum up the world shared by murray, huffington, toynbee, & the wsj?

Carrol