Tasteless site

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 12 19:34:04 PST 2001

http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/current/0444.html Michael Pugliese:
> Anyway, when did some become all? Saying a few upper-middle class yups
like
> their pups more than people ("Up With People!" as the Michael Curb
> Congregation said circa 1970 ) seems to me not to be denigrating animal
> liberation or rights but, pointing out the stunted moral sensibilities of
> those who feed their pooches the best while telling the homeless beggar at
> the subway entrance to get a job. ...

Gordon Fitch>Yoshie's deprecation was generic; Mr. Deejay followed her up, giving anecdotal support and saying nothing in qualification or mitigation. Rhetorically speaking, then, those remarks inherited fully the generic quality of the (unjustified) deprecation they supported. And I wonder, as below (in lbo-talk), is it so above (in the airwaves); are the fearsome Middle Class of animal-rights telphone activists regularly struck down between this record and that? It would be nice to know that somebody's fighting for the working class against the depredations of cat-lovers.

As for moral sensibilities, there in your last sentence; we should feed every hungry person on earth before we feed our cats and dogs, or what? Or should we turn them out to fend for themselves, or just kill them all? (I believe that's PETA's theory.) How about other people's animals, people who lack our moral exactitude -- should we deal definitively with them, too? After all, they might be Middle Class!

What's your moral proposal here?

Now I'm confused. Am I Mr. Deejay? ("Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ, " sings Morrissey). As posters to my left like to remind me, I'm a reformist socdem tool of the Empire, so I guess I'd have to say that pending George McGovern and Oxfam feeding every one of the starving billions living on less than the equivalent of a dollar a day or the Fifth International overthrowing Imperialism Tomorrow and "neutralizing" the executives at Archer, Daniels, Midlands, I'd recommend giving some change and/or the rest of the sandwich you bought for lunch to the homeless guy. If you have a pet, or see a dog w/o an owner, looking anxiously for the Dog Pound Police Truck, give the pooch, the sandwich. Why, is it kill the animals or kill the homeless? Just like alot in life, you try to do your best, with the least harm to all sentient beings. All I thought I was doing was pointing out a certain overinvestment by a few with privilege in their animals, at the expense, of those, more than numerous, homeless, on every street, in every city in this fershtunkin' country. Are, you suggesting I harbor desires to off the animals and owners of Yups With Pups? The only people, I see on a daily basis, I do desire harm done to, however, are the Yups with Cellular Phones making 100K in the S.F. Financial District. But, that's another story... Michael Pugliese www.sfgate.com "He was always so quiet! We would have never guessed!" Suspect, Michael Pugliese Held For Questioning After Lunchtime Attack @ BofA/NationsBanc HQ. Was heard exulting, "That'll Show Those Bourgeois Bastards! Eating Their $8 Foccaccia and Double Capuccino, No Cream!"