Lenin in Essen

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 12 19:57:39 PST 2001

>Brad Mayer wrote:
>
>>The absence of a revolutionary working class party (to phrase it
>>broadly) today, demonstrates that we were not able to successfully
>>"retreat in good order", and have been instead thrust back into a
>>period of regroupment similar to that of post-1848. However,
>>instead of taking responsibility, some, perhaps on the basis of
>>their own bitter experience with these failures, have tried to
>>escape this responsibility by rejecting the project itself.
>>Especially here in the U.S., where egoistical projection and
>>blaming others is such a wonderful cultural trait.
>
>To which the author of this passage is immune?
>
>Pray tell, how do we go about organizing the revolutionary working
>class party in the USA? Lots of people have tried, but with not much
>success so far. Well there's the common scene of the Sparts
>denouncing everyone else for being soft on imperialism, but I'm
>guessing you mean something more serious and effective than that.
>So, comrade Mayer, what is to be done?
>
>Doug

Is it necessary to abolish capitalism in the USA? Is it possible to do so? Those who say No to both of these questions have to settle for social imperialism or something like that, I think. If you say Yes to the former but No to the latter, you should be committed to one kind of theory and practice -- perhaps a combination of revolutionary anarchism & Third-Worldism; if you say Yes to both, you should pursue another. Where do you think you stand?

Yoshie