Slick Willie heads uptown

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:29:08 PST 2001

>From: "J. Barkley Rosser, Jr."
>
>Doug, Hey, I'm teaching Urban Economics right now. I am aware that Harlem
>has a long way to go in terms of gentrification. But, I have no doubt that
>Slick Willie will end up in one of the gentrifying sections, if not already
>fully gentrified.

Apparently, the former POTUS is bouncing a child welfare agency out of the space in which he wants to exercise his legendary empathic skills. But it would seem that this actually serves the interests of child welfare, since the agency will be forced to take less expensive space on a lower floor.
>From the NY Times:

"According to real estate executives familiar with the negotiations, the 14th-floor, 7,000-square-foot space [at 55 West 125th St.] sought by Mr. Clinton has already been leased, to New York City's child welfare agency, the Administration for Children's Services, reported Charles V. Bagli, a reporter for the New York Times.

"The landlord hopes to move the agency down to lower-floor offices being vacated by the Internal Revenue Service, said the executives, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The lower floor rents for $27 a square foot, instead of the $30 figure for the top floor of the 14-story building, Mr. Bagli reported."

Carl