The Sufferings of Thomas

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Wed Feb 14 07:11:13 PST 2001

Thomas Advises Standing Firm

By LAURIE ASSEO, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - People who disagree with political orthodoxy should not ``censor ourselves'' or yield to criticism, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said Tuesday.

``By yielding to a false form of civility, we sometimes allow our critics to intimidate us,'' the justice said at the annual dinner of the conservative American Enterprise Institute.

``Active citizens are often subjected to truly vile attacks; they are branded as mean-spirited, racist, Uncle Tom, homophobic, sexist, etc.,'' Thomas said. As a result, he added, sometimes ``we censor ourselves. This is not civility, it is cowardice, a well-intentioned self-deception at best.''

Thomas, who joined the court in 1991 after a bruising confirmation battle, told of getting a strong negative reaction in 1980 when as a government official he was quoted as questioning the ``sacred policies'' of affirmative action, welfare and school busing.

``Debate was not permitted. Orthodoxy was enforced,'' Thomas said. ``When whites questioned the conventional wisdom on these issues it was considered bad form. When blacks did so, it was treason.''

``These rules of orthodoxy still apply,'' the justice said. ``You had better not engage in serious debate or discussion unless you are willing to endure attacks that range from mere hostile bluster to libel.''

However, he added, ``one should not be cowed by criticism.''

Thomas said that after he dissented from a 1992 Supreme Court ruling that let inmates sue prison guards for using excessive force even if no serious injuries are inflicted, ``I was widely denounced for advocating the beating of prisoners, which is ridiculous.''

People who say children should be raised in two-parent families ``are often accused of trying to impose their values on others,'' Thomas said. He called such criticism ``purely and simply an in-your-face response. It is, in short, intimidation.''

But he said people should not shy away from stating their views.

``We are required to wade into those things that matter to our country and our culture, no matter what the disincentives are or the personal cost,'' Thomas said.