Lenin in Essen

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Feb 14 14:38:53 PST 2001

At 04:56 PM 2/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>A thread on my Feed daily on the Lenin conference has developed on
>Plastic; anyone who wants to jump in, see
><http://www.plastic.com/article.pl?sid=01/02/13/1725241&from=rdf>.
>
>Doug

EuropeanLeftistIntellectual.com Doug Henwood on the fate of Europe's lefty intellectuals in the cyber-crazy Old World

harrisj responded to the article doug wrote (title above) with: "The big problem I have with this article (and a lot of the messages) is that the following train of thought seems to appear: All European intellectuals are Marxists. Marxists are pro-Communism. Communism opposes American capitalism. American Capitalism is the ONLY WAY. Thus, they're all backwards AND stupid. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing slightly, but I do find it silly to assess intellectualism in Europe from a conference on Lenin of all people. No wonder everyone's a musty Marxist there. The article makes a good case for how these old school Marxists are unable to see the new technologies for glorious revolution, but it's a stretch to brand all European thought that way."

well, there ya go. more scintillating conversation. harrisj can't even get the subject matter of your piece right.

i feel a rant coming on about reading comprehension levels among the yuts of our cybersociety. after watching people consistently misread newsarticels lately, and thinking back to spending so much time teaching college SENIORS how to read first before i could even get them to write cogently about a topic.... oh lord....somebody HELP ME or i'm going to channel Carl or something next.

kelley