spineless pinko's update

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Feb 14 18:36:21 PST 2001

Va. Pledge of Allegiance Bill Withdrawn

RICHMOND, Feb. 14 The Virginia senator sponsoring a bill that would require public school students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning abruptly withdrew the measure today, complaining that it was being watered down by a committee of "spineless pinkos."...Sen. Warren E. Barry (R-Fairfax County) was referring to the House of Delegates' Education Committee,...

The committee members, generally supportive of the bill, decided to take no final action on it today, to allow Barry a chance to bring it back to them when they meet on Friday. Barry said that's unlikely unless the panel keeps the provision saying that students who break the law must be suspended. ...

This is one of those pieces of silly police-state fluff, that had real promise. Geeze, too bad it failed.

I suspect it was exactly this sort of authoritarian crap that guarrantied my generation would have a signficant number of radical, dope smoking, violent, anti-social, deviant, and completely hardwired to the pissed-off position members eager to go to the wall over absolutely nothing.

In LA Schools (50yrs ago) we had revelly of all things, along with the anthem, and the fucking pledge of allegiance, with GOD in there---the whole fur ball. We used to pledge allegiance at attention with our middle finger over our hearts--a twelve year old's idea of protest.

Now if the Education Committee could see fit to add a dress code, manditory prayer, cold showers, and military drill during PE, I think we could be back up to speed in no time.

Chuck Grimes

PS. See. I read type this shit and no sooner had I finished than I read Chuck0's post:

I'm disappointed. The Virginia anarchists were hoping that the Pledge of Allegiance bill would pass, because there's nothing like a mandatory stupid ritual to piss the teens off. You all should see the e-mail I get from teens who are harassed for not standing for the pledge or for wearing clothes with political statements.

<< Chuck0 >>