spineless pinko's update

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 15 10:16:09 PST 2001

I started teaching in 1957 -- but it wasn't til the mid-70s that students started to be offended by my sacreligious remarks. In the rural grade school I attended in the '30s & '40s sneers at creationism were perfectly safe. In my 10th grade biology (1944) class in a small town high school evolution was taken for granted. It would have been a real shock had someone objected.

My own subjective impression from the '50s is that they represented the highwater mark of secularism in the U.S. There is a lot to accuse the '50s of, but religiosity is not one of them (at least in comparison with the last quarter century). Things may have reversed in the late '50s -- but my impression is that the real change for the worse began in the early '70s & climaxed in the mid '80s.

Carrol