spineless pinko's update

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 18:33:35 PST 2001

>From: Carrol Cox
>
>There is a lot to accuse the '50s of, but religiosity is not one of them
>(at least in comparison with the last quarter century). Things may have
>reversed in the late '50s -- but my impression is that the real change for
>the worse began in the early '70s & climaxed in the mid '80s.

[I'd say the worst is yet to come. The latest ill tidings appear in the following news item, which points to the synergistic potential of Americans' two favorite sources of fanaticism -- religiosity and physical fitness -- which apparently can indeed reinforce each other.]

Regular Churchgoing Linked to Healthy Habits

By Charnicia E. Huggins

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Frequent churchgoers may be less likely to drink heavily or smoke than those who attend church less frequently, according to the results of a 30-year study. And those who do smoke or drink may be more likely to quit once they start going to church regularly.

"Good health behaviors will help you live longer, and one of the ways to develop and maintain them is through religious organizations," lead study author Dr. William J. Strawbridge, of the Human Population Laboratory in Berkeley, California, told Reuters Health.

[Full text: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010215/hl/church_1.html]

Carl