Lenin in Essen

Thu Feb 15 10:36:10 PST 2001

Doug Henwood on the fate of Europe's lefty intellectuals in the cyber-crazy Old World

"We heard lots about the Lenin of 1905 versus the Lenin of 1917, and the influence of Hegel on Lenin, but not much about 2001. "

"... Callinicos wanted to assimilate it to old familiar forms: What the Seattle kids need, he averred, was a party. Not a block party, not a fundraising party, but a disciplined, centralized organization -- along Bolshevik lines, of course. Talk about a corpse in urgent need of a burial."

CB: Howabout BolivarBolshevism for 2001 and beyond, as far as something up to date ? ( Even more up to date than Seattle , which is from two years ago wasn't it ?) . I realize the CIA is working on making Chavez a corpse like Lenin, but right now, 2001, today , that movement and democratic centralist Party are alive and well in South America, and the kids in Seattle ain't got nothin' on those kids in Caracas.

Viva Chavez !