The Trouble with Democrats (cont'd)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Feb 15 17:50:10 PST 2001

Since I wrote that -- in something of a rage -- I got some new info correcting some old info. Things may not be as bad as I thot, with some more shoes to drop. I'll keep you posted.

I would say an issue focus isn't bad, as long as the proposed solution is developed to the point where it can actually be implemented, not just used to score ephemeral debating points. Insofar as a candidate elevates such solutions and promotes them skillfully, I think supporting candidates is worthwhile too.

max

Hmm, well, where's it going to come from? There's certainly no organization that's about to lead it, and I don't see that much evidence of mass desire for it - though maybe the Holland Tunnel traffic downstairs is drowning out the sounds of the masses baying for single payer health insurance and publicly funded child care, so let me know if I'm missing something.

Adolph Reed has an interesting column in this month's Progressive arguing that organizing around candidates like Nader (and earlier, Jackson) is a waste, and that issue-oriented campaigns - like the Labor Party's referenda promoting single-payer health care, which won by 60-70% margins, though they were purely advisory - are the way to go. What do you think, Max? We need lots of you before you sign off.

Doug