The Next Agenda (left Democrat confab)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 12 11:25:28 PST 2001

Oh Oh, Arianna Huffington gave a blurb to the THE NEXT AGENDA: BLUEPRINT FOR A NEW PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT. Looks like an update to the South End Press book in '92 ed. by Chester Hartman and Bob Borosage. Chriss Kromm, give us all a report afterwards. Hopefully it's better than an event I saw on CSPAN a few years ago (a launch of the book ed. by Stan Greenberg and Theda Skocpol from Yale Univ. Press, "Towards A New Progressive Majority.") sponsored by IPS and CAF. As the audience was being panned, Eleanor Clift of Newsweek and the McLaughlin Gang was snoozing. Michael Pugliese http://www.ourfuture.org/readarticle.asp?ID=712

The Next Agenda

Date: 2/28/01 John Sweeney, Jesse Jackson, Paul Wellstone, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Julian Bond, Patricia Ireland, George Becker and other progressive leaders invite you to join activists, policy experts, Members of Congress and leaders of labor and citizen organizations at a national conference on THE NEXT AGENDA National Press Club, 14th and F Streets NW 8:30 am to 10 pm FEBRUARY 28, 2001 Morton Bahr, Peter Barnes, Warren Beatty,Ann Beaudry, George Becker, LaraBergthold, Brent Blackwelder, BarryBluestone, Jeff Blum, Juilan Bond, HeatherBooth, Robert Borosage, Cong. SherrodBrown, Robert Burnett, Bob Chase, BenCohen, Chuck Collins, Cong. John Conyers,Ken Cook, Lynn A. Curtis, Sen. Mark Dayton,Cong. Peter DeFazio, Cong. Rosa DeLauro,Peter Dreier, Nancy Duff Campbell, PeterEdelman, Mike Farrell, Jeff Faux, AliFischer, Cong. Barney Frank, JamesK. Galbraith, Marshall Ganz, Henry LouisGates Jr., Teresa Ghilarducci, Todd Gitlin, Stan Greenberg, William Greider, Jerome Grossman, LaDonna Harris, Denis Hayes, Wade Henderson, Roger Hickey, Alan W.Houseman, Patricia Ireland, Amy Isaacs,Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Cong. Jesse Jackson, Jr., Jackie Kendall, Steve Kest, JonathanKozol, Chris Kromm, Cong. Dennis Kucinich,Robert Kuttner, Norman Lear, Richard C.Leone, Theodore R. Marmor, Jay Mazur,Gerald W. McEntee, Robert McKay, WilliamMcNary, Howard Metzenbaum, Cong. George Miller, David Moberg, Nick Nyhart, Rep.Nan Grogan Orrock, Manuel Pastor, RonPollack, Carl Pope, Jamin B. Raskin, HansRiemer, Dennis Rivera, Joel Rogers, RabbiDavid Saperstein, Cong. Jan Schakowsky,Susan Shaer, Adele Smith Simmons, Theda Skocpol, Eleanor Smeal, Francis Smith,William Spriggs Barbra Streisand, JohnJ. Sweeney, Ruy Teixeira, Katrina vandenHeuvel, Cong. Nydia Velazquez, PhillipeVillers, Dr. Ron Walters, Cong. MaxineWaters, Sen. Paul Wellstone, Roger Wilkins,William Julius Wilson, Marie Wilson, LeslieR. Wolfe, Stephen P. Yokich, Kelly Young

In the first election of the new century, a majority of Americans spoke clearly They want leaders who will be on their side in the new global economy, as they struggle for good jobs, a voice at work, affordable health care, retirement dignity, and a good education for their children. They want a government that will invest in our future, protect our environment, and defend our basic rights. That progressive majority will be the driving force for America's Next Agenda

FEBRUARY 28, 2001 for a national conference on THE NEXT AGENDA National Press Club, 14th and F Streets NW 8:30 am to 10 pm Conference presentations will include: Jesse Jackson, Jan Schakowsky, John Sweeney on Strategies for Progressives Heidi Hartmann on Economic Security for Women and Children The NAACP's Hillary Shelton on the Imperative of Voting Reform SEIU President Andrew Stern, Yale's Ted Marmor, and Senator Paul Wellstone on Health Care for All. Carl Pope on Green Growth: the Challenge and Opportunity of Global Warming Jeff Faux on Responding to the Coming Economic Crisis William Greider on the Global Economy.

We invite Americans who want to move our country FORWARD.

The Conference will feature discussion of a core progressive agenda that canhelp forge a new majority for signifi-can reform. It will dissect the mes-sage of election 2000, highlight press-ing economic and political reforms,and feature leading progressive legis-lators, citizen leaders and analysts. The accidental presidency of GeorgeW. Bush presents progressives with adual task: fighting against a new reac-tion while putting forth a clear visionand bold agenda for progressive reform. George Bush may be in the WhiteHouse, but he did not win this election.

The total vote for Vice President Al Gore and Green Party nominee Ralph Nader was 52%, the largest center left vote since Lyndon Johnson in 1964. As Senator Paul Wellstone notes, "this election confirms what we already knew: progressive politics are winning politics. Health care, education, retirement security and broadening our prosperity are the issues foremost on voters' minds. The challenge facing us now is to translate the dominance of our issues into a winning progressive agenda. Join us as we begin at the National Conference on the Next Agenda.

At the conference the Campaign for America's Future will release a new book,THE NEXT AGENDA: BLUEPRINT FOR A NEW PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT.

Edited by Robert Borosage and Roger Hickey and published by Westview Press, the book contains chapters written by prominent policy experts and activists, including: Jeff Faux on economic policy; Heidi Hartmann on economic security for women and children; TedMarmor on universal health care; Joel Rogers on metropolitan power; William Spriggs and Lynn Curtis on urban poverty strategies; Carl Pope and Robert Wages on an environmentally sustainable economy; Theda Skocpol on working families; David Moberg on empowering workers; Ellen Miller on campaign finance reform; and William Greider on the global economy.

The ideas of these authors will be but the starting points for a wide-ranging but disciplined discussion about common strategy and bold agenda that can inspire and unite a new progressive movement.

The Campaign for America's Future develops ideas and strategy that can forge a new American majority for progressive reform. Founded by more than 100 prominent Americans objecting to the conservative drift of our political debate, the Campaign is educating tomorrow's leaders about the challenges we face, and the opportunities we have to build a more just and more democratic society. The Campaign brings diverse constituencies together-union members, environementalists, women, African Americans, Hispanics, seniors, young people, consumers and citizen activists-to fight for working families in today's changing economy. We have led campaigns for retirement security, health care, and economic justice and environmental sustainability in the new global economy. The Campaign's new book, The Next Agenda, brings together the ideas of prominent activists and scholars to present a program for progressive change. The Institute for America's Future promotes a more balanced public debate about the public and corporate choices now shaping the future of our country and the world. The Institute carries out research, education and public outreach programs. It draws on a network of progressive leaders, scholars and activists to engage citizens in a discussion of our economic challenges and the need for new direction. It provides the facts and analysis that can serve as ammunition as people demand changes on the federal, state and local levels. The Institute also identifies policy solutions to the economic and social problems facing the country and ensures that advocates for these solutions are available for media coverage and for empowering citizen discussions. The Institute's work arms citizen leaders and activists with the facts and arguments to give them the confidence to argue that current conditions are not matters of fate or economic laws, but of policy choices and political power.

© Copyright 1999

Campaign for America's Future

Institute for America's Future Sign up for our Weekly Email Updates

EMAIL: