The State of "Equality" (was Re: Tasteless site)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 16 13:18:10 PST 2001

James Heartfield says:

>At a time when the elite stakes its claim to rule on the basis of
>generalised equality, I think it is right to expose the limitations of
>that slogan.
>
>However, in more recent times the ruling class has put ever more stress
>on the virtues of diversity. In the context of social polarisation
>generated through capitalism, the argument for diversity becomes an
>apology for social inequality.
>
>So, in a final reductio ad absurdem, prime minister Tony Blair announced
>his plan to abolish comprehensive education with the demand:
>
>'diversity must become the norm, not the exception'

That's a revealing remark that sums up the problem of the rhetoric of equality. The rhetoric of diversity, multiculturalism, etc. is a variant of the rhetoric of formal equality, in that it says, in effect, that while we do nothing to destroy the material conditions that give rise to "races," "ethnicities," "cultural differences," etc. & oppressions that are based upon them, we should honor the "equality" of "different races, ethnicities, cultures, etc."

Marx & Lenin's criticisms of formal equality are thus more relevant than ever!

Yoshie