Catherine, can't you read? was Re: No Sex Please - We're Post-Human!

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Feb 17 23:02:46 PST 2001

Christian

I think your reading of MP too schematic. But then I do find this the least engaging or critical of Austen's novels. I think Fanny is very unlikeable, and her 'dependence' does not excuse this. Austen is an excellent writer when it comes to acknowledging ambivalence in social relations, and yet there's little of this in MP except in the Crawfords, and then very little. How this manifests is interesting, and I'll think about it some more. It's the Austen novel I know least well because I don't really enjoy it, but I will have another look and see if I can constitute a more interesting position on all this.

Catherine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Gregory" <christian11 at mindspring.com> Date: Sunday, February 18, 2001 2:10 am Subject: Re: Catherine, can't you read? was Re: No Sex Please - We're Post-Human!