Catherine, can't you read? was Re: No Sex Please - We're Post-Human!

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Feb 17 23:47:29 PST 2001

> Catherine says:
>
> >Dependence presumes a hierarchy.... What about attachment?
>
> It appears that your reasoning is circular -- as in "dependence is
> hierarchical because it presumes a hierarchy."

Yoshie -- the concept of dependence is about hierarchy -- something leans on, hangs from etc, is defined entirely by because it presumes the existence of something else

attachment does not mean that

would you disagree?

> Human beings as created through the process of socialization of
> labor
> depend upon the existence of other human beings whom we do not
> even
> know personally, much less to whom we feel "attached."

By attachment I did not mean affection. But I did mean something wioth more potential for intensity than 'connection'.

>Your life
> depends upon workers you have & will never meet. Your life also
> depends upon the biological & historical evolution of human beings
> --
> the work of human beings in the past whose legacy -- good, bad, &
> ugly -- you have inherited.

dependence is not the only way of conceiving of this set of relations

Catherine