spineless pinko's update

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:09:01 PST 2001

>Later there would be shift back to Episcopalians among the WASP elite, as
>among the Quakers in Philadelphia. This is all covered well by Digby
>Baltzell in his book on the WASP elite in the US. Barkley Rosser

Baltzell had some finer distinctions to make, as I recall. He argued that the Puritan heritage of Boston WASPs inclined them toward social responsibility and reformist activity (as well as, negatively, meddlesome censoriousness), while the Quaker influence in Philadelphia led WASPs there toward solipsistic indifference re society in general (as well as, positively, live-and-let-live tolerance).