The Next Agenda (left Democrat confab)

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 18 11:05:17 PST 2001

If I go, I'll put on my richest back-country drawl ... and bring a pillow. I'm not sure how many of these left luminaries actually plan to attend (few?), and how many are simply signers-on (my case). CK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pugliese" <debsian at pacbell.net> To: "dsa" <asdnet at igc.topica.com>; "lbo" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 2:25 PM Subject: The Next Agenda (left Democrat confab)

> Oh Oh, Arianna Huffington gave a blurb to the THE NEXT AGENDA:
BLUEPRINT
> FOR A NEW PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT. Looks like an update to the South End
Press
> book in '92 ed. by Chester Hartman and Bob Borosage.
> Chriss Kromm, give us all a report afterwards. Hopefully it's better than
an
> event I saw on CSPAN a few years ago (a launch of the book ed. by Stan
> Greenberg and Theda Skocpol from Yale Univ. Press, "Towards A New
> Progressive Majority.") sponsored by IPS and CAF. As the audience was
being
> panned, Eleanor Clift of Newsweek and the McLaughlin
> Gang was snoozing.
> Michael Pugliese
> http://www.ourfuture.org/readarticle.asp?ID=712
>

> The Next Agenda
> Date: 2/28/01
> John Sweeney, Jesse Jackson, Paul Wellstone, Rep. Jan
> Schakowsky, Julian Bond, Patricia Ireland, George Becker
> and other progressive leaders
> invite you to join activists, policy
> experts, Members of Congress and
> leaders of labor and citizen organizations at
> a national conference on THE NEXT AGENDA
> National Press Club, 14th and F Streets NW 8:30 am to 10 pm
> FEBRUARY 28, 2001
> Morton Bahr, Peter Barnes, Warren Beatty,Ann Beaudry, George
> Becker, LaraBergthold, Brent Blackwelder, BarryBluestone, Jeff Blum,
Juilan
> Bond, HeatherBooth, Robert Borosage, Cong. SherrodBrown, Robert Burnett,
Bob
> Chase, BenCohen, Chuck Collins, Cong. John Conyers,Ken Cook, Lynn A.
Curtis,
> Sen. Mark Dayton,Cong. Peter DeFazio, Cong. Rosa DeLauro,Peter Dreier,
Nancy
> Duff Campbell, PeterEdelman, Mike Farrell, Jeff Faux, AliFischer, Cong.
> Barney Frank, JamesK. Galbraith, Marshall Ganz, Henry LouisGates Jr.,
Teresa
> Ghilarducci, Todd Gitlin, Stan Greenberg, William Greider,
> Jerome Grossman, LaDonna Harris, Denis Hayes, Wade Henderson, Roger
Hickey,
> Alan W.Houseman, Patricia Ireland, Amy Isaacs,Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Cong.
> Jesse Jackson, Jr., Jackie Kendall, Steve Kest, JonathanKozol, Chris
Kromm,
> Cong. Dennis Kucinich,Robert Kuttner, Norman Lear, Richard C.Leone,
Theodore
> R. Marmor, Jay Mazur,Gerald W. McEntee, Robert McKay, WilliamMcNary,
Howard
> Metzenbaum, Cong. George Miller, David Moberg, Nick Nyhart, Rep.Nan Grogan
> Orrock, Manuel Pastor, RonPollack, Carl Pope, Jamin B. Raskin, HansRiemer,
> Dennis Rivera, Joel Rogers, RabbiDavid Saperstein, Cong. Jan
> Schakowsky,Susan Shaer, Adele Smith Simmons, Theda Skocpol, Eleanor Smeal,
> Francis Smith,William Spriggs Barbra Streisand, JohnJ. Sweeney, Ruy
> Teixeira, Katrina vandenHeuvel, Cong. Nydia Velazquez, PhillipeVillers,
Dr.
> Ron Walters, Cong. MaxineWaters, Sen. Paul Wellstone, Roger
Wilkins,William
> Julius Wilson, Marie Wilson, LeslieR. Wolfe, Stephen P. Yokich, Kelly
Young
> In the first election of the new century,
> majority of Americans spoke clearly They want leaders who will be on
their
> side in the new global economy, as they struggle for good jobs, a voice
at
> work, affordable health care, retirement dignity, and a good education
for
> their children. They want a government that will invest in our
future,
> protect our environment, and defend our basic rights. That
progressive
> majority will be the driving force for America's Next Agenda
>
> FEBRUARY 28, 2001 for a national conference on
> THE NEXT AGENDA National Press Club, 14th and F Streets NW
> 8:30 am to 10 pm
> Conference presentations will include:
> Jesse Jackson, Jan Schakowsky, John Sweeney on
> Strategies for Progressives Heidi Hartmann on
Economic
> Security for Women and Children The NAACP's Hillary
> Shelton on the Imperative of Voting Reform
> SEIU President Andrew Stern, Yale's Ted Marmor, and
> Senator Paul Wellstone on Health Care for All. Carl
> Pope on Green Growth: the Challenge and Opportunity of
> Global Warming Jeff Faux on Responding to the Coming
> Economic Crisis William Greider on the Global
Economy.

> We invite Americans who want to move our country
> FORWARD.
>
> The Conference will feature discussion of a core progressive
> agenda that canhelp forge a new majority for signifi-can reform. It will
> dissect the mes-sage of election 2000, highlight press-ing economic and
> political reforms,and feature leading progressive legis-lators, citizen
> leaders and analysts. The accidental presidency of GeorgeW. Bush presents
> progressives with adual task: fighting against a new reac-tion while
putting
> forth a clear visionand bold agenda for progressive reform. George Bush
may
> be in the WhiteHouse, but he did not win this election.
>
> The total vote for Vice President Al Gore and
> Green Party nominee Ralph Nader was 52%, the largest center left vote
> since Lyndon Johnson in 1964. As Senator Paul Wellstone notes, "this
> election confirms what we already knew: progressive politics are
winning
> politics. Health care, education, retirement security and broadening
our
> prosperity are the issues foremost on voters' minds. The challenge
> facing us now is to translate the dominance of our issues into a
winning
> progressive agenda. Join us as we begin at the National Conference
on
> the Next Agenda.
>

> At the conference the Campaign for America's Future will
release
> a new book,THE NEXT AGENDA: BLUEPRINT FOR A NEW PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT.
>
> Edited by Robert Borosage and Roger Hickey and published by Westview
Press,
> the book contains chapters written by prominent policy experts and
> activists, including: Jeff Faux on economic policy; Heidi Hartmann on
> economic security for women and children; TedMarmor on universal health
> care; Joel Rogers on metropolitan power; William Spriggs and Lynn Curtis
on
> urban poverty strategies; Carl Pope and Robert Wages on an
> environmentally sustainable economy; Theda Skocpol on working families;
> David Moberg on empowering workers; Ellen Miller on campaign finance
reform;
> and William Greider on the global economy.
>
> The ideas of these authors will be but the starting
> points for a wide-ranging but disciplined discussion about common strategy
> and
> bold agenda that can inspire and unite a new progressive movement.
>

> The Campaign for America's Future develops
ideas