delinking does not equal autarky (J O'Connor)

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 12:42:29 PST 2001

In message <p04330103b6b5cc588059@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>I dig absolutely, as someone once said, but how do you propose to go
>about this? There's a good chance we'll see some social security
>privatization, and we can't even imagine a public health insurance
>scheme - so how do we take over the leading imperialist state?

I suppose it depends on who you mean by 'we', but bear in mind that US workers already are the decisive force in US society, whose activities are its activities. The barrier to assuming actual control over processes that are already in substance the actions of working people is a matter of overcoming the ideological barriers to their realisation. Even the power of the state is at root the alienated power of the working class. Sadly, I have to say that if Britain's National Health Service is your model, that this is a clear model of alienated labour, in which the instinct for human solidarity is perverted into the conditions of gross exploitation.

-- James Heartfield