SJ Gould on genome

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 09:09:56 PST 2001

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> [Gould is too discreet to say it this way, but quite a blow to
>> conventional bourgeois thought.]
>
>Hmm. I'm not entirely clear about how any defense of the extraction of
>surplus value could be countered by the decoding of the genome.

That's bourgeois practice, not bourgeois thought. Unidirectional, mechanistic thinking has nothing to do with the bourgeois mind? The old model, with genes as blueprint or master plan and the rest of the cell/body following its instructions bear a pretty strong relation to the factory - bosses plan and direct, workers dutifully follow. More recently, the model has been cyber-ized, with genes as software code - but again, the genes were calling the shots. Clearly, it's a lot more complicated than that, with environment and timing mattering a lot more than the old fundamental dogma had it.

Doug