marxism on wgn-fm

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 08:55:57 PST 2001

George Thomas wrote:

>As for Mike Davis, he also wrote "Burning Our Illusions Tonight,"
>"Magical Urbanism," "Prisoners of the American Dream," "99 Surefire
>Ways to Stay Unemployed." I'm impressed, I wonder at his popularity
>with the lunatic fringe. The NY Times doesn't yet have a review of
>this latest work, but does review another work, "Ecology of Fear;
>Los Angeles and the Imagination of Disaster."
>http://search3.nytimes.com/search/daily/bin/fastweb?getdoc+book-rev+bookrev-arch+23475+0+wAAA+mike%7Edavis
>The review is good for a chuckle, enjoy. I'd take with a grain of
>salt, any claims of Davis being convincing re: famines, this other
>work with weather patterns leaves much to be desired, unless one
>reads it just for the knee-slappers.

Talk about knee-slappers. It's funny enough that the NYTBR should be the set up as the arbiter, but it's even funnier that you should say this the day after their quite positive review - by no less than Amartya Sen - appeared (which was posted here yesterday). When you take a break from slapping your knee, check out <http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/02/18/reviews/010218.18senlt.html>.

Doug