SJ Gould on genome

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 09:27:43 PST 2001

Justin, this must have something to do with your fondness for Hayek; I'm going to have to think about it. Some fundamental individualism maybe?

Biologists used to think, and most lay people went along with them, that genes were the book of life, the determining code, and all that. That's rather definitively been shown to be wrong - context and totality matter, timing matters. As Gould puts it, "So organisms must be explained as organisms, and not as a summation of genes."

Doug