Anti-Semitism of Certain Famous Economists

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 19 10:49:49 PST 2001

The article has many more examples of anti-Semitic remarks from Keynes and makes it clear that his attitudes were more unequivocal and stronger than those of Schumpeter or Hayek. In all cases it is noted that they were "ambivalent," accepting certain Jews while (allegedly) maintaining more general negative stereotypes that were widespread among "educated elites" prior to around 1950.

Schumpeter famously defended Paul Samuelson in the decision by Harvard not to hire him, and also defended other Jews against discrimination. However, he expressed negative attitudes in private diaries, where he also expressed an understanding that it was not acceptable to openly express such attitudes. Some of his nastier statements include some quotes that appear in a biography of him by Richard Swedberg, 1991, _Schumpeter: A Biography_ Princeton University Press.

p. 150, "He [Schumpeter] thought that the British and the Jews had won the war with the help of the United States. The whole thing was a 'Jewish victory' and the Americans had accomplished what Hitler had originally set out to do to conquer the world." p. 141: "In his [Schumpeter's] private diary we find outbursts against 'n-words, Jews and subnormals' and statements of the following type: 'Just as the n-word dance is the dance of today, so is Keynesian economics the economics of today.' ... 'never attack the Jews and the Catholic Church...Attack on these spell defeat.'"

As I mentioned in my original post the evidence on Hayek is very weak. There is a footnote that a referee to the paper strongly objected to his inclusion with the other two. The closest to an anti-Semitic remark is one place where he is reported to have complained as follows (from _Hayek on Hayek_, Stephen Kresge and Leif Warner, eds., 1994, University of Chicago Press, p. 61):

[Hayek speaking as part of an oral interview in mid-1980s)

"Not my family, my family is on [sic] the purely Christian group; but in the university context I entered into the mixed group. And there were several things which I must confess I resented among our Jewish friends. The worst was that I was not allowed to speak about Jewish things; they did that all the time. Even the theme of 'Has he a Jewish accent?' was constantly discussed among them; if I would have said a word about it, it would have been bitterly resented."

Hayek, of course, strongly supported his mentor, Ludwig von Mises, who was Jewish and was a cousin of the three quarters Jewish, Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Although pushing the envelope, I don't think the above quote by Hayek can be viewed as constituting anti-Semitism. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, February 18, 2001 6:21 PM Subject: Re: Anti-Semitism of Certain Famous Economists