Carowan unmasked

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 12:53:32 PST 2001

Uday Mohan wrote:

>Interesting. In a way the style of "both" has a link. When I first
>joined the list I was struck by the disparity between Rakesh's anger in
>some of his emails and his friendly sign off. Basically he would be very
>hostile in his message but end with a polite "best, Rakesh," the same
>peculiar tic afflicting Carowan.

Rakesh as Rakesh could be tough and angry, but he was always sane and serious. From the first time I saw him in cyberspace 5 or 6 years ago, I was impressed with his intelligence and knowledge, and even when I disagreed with him, I always found it productive. Several times I urged him to return to the list, but he was supposedly too busy, writing a dissertation. But being called a racist, homophobe, social imperialist, apartheid fuck, and paid mouthpiece for UNITE is something of an impediment to further discourse.

Though "Carowan" asserted it was crucial, in the name of fighting racism and homophobia, to defeat Bush, the real Rakesh says he didn't vote. So I guess that makes him a functional racist and homophobe too, by his own metric.

Doug