preaching, waiting

Mon Feb 19 13:49:35 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>How do you square Adolph Reed & the Labor Party with Hardt & Negri's
>anti-statism?

Well, I like unions, at least if they're democratic, imaginative, and inclusionary, and I like the idea of political parties, as long as they're not a self-appointed vanguard, and I like the LP's emphasis on organizing rather than electoral politics. So, at best, it looks like an attempt at the self-organization of the working class. In my heart, or gut, or whatever organ it is that's the repository of instinct, I don't like states, but in the practical neighborhood of my brain I realize that states are with us, and will be for a long time, so you try to lobby for the best deal you can get from them. I'm also all for experimentation & stuggle of all kinds; I don't have any magic bullet, so you fight where you can and see what happens.

CB: "Democracy" implies a state , no ?