SJ Gould on genome

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:20:36 PST 2001

OK, as I say, I don't know that much biology anymore. You may be right about the view that Gould is attacking. I am still not sure how the relative paucity of human genes has anything to do with it. It doesn't even refute the one gene-one protein view. After all, another point I didn't mentioned, who's to say that you need specifically human genes to get the proteins you get? I mean, maybe a genes we share with chimps producers the appropriate protein. As for the view you say Gould attacks, I would have thought it unpromising on general principles, and I am not unsympathetic to reductionism. --jks