marxism on wgn-fm

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:20:05 PST 2001

Glad to have you on board. The point about the body count is that both Stalinism and capitalsim have unacceptably high body counts. Incidentaly, few of us here would defend Stalinism, the historical embodiments of so-called Marxism in the USSR, China, etc. A few, but not many, and not me. So the question isn't really, which if these evils is worse, but can't we do better?

Morever, apart from Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge on the commie side and Nazi Germany on the capitalist side, few regimes have actually made "thinning the population" a deliberate goal; the question, if we are looking for appraising the ethical effects of an economic system, is in part, what system is most harmful to human life and well being?

Here the answer is complex. Capitalism has brought the greatest advances in human well being in human history, immense increases in longevity, wealth, productivity, etc. At the same time, it has also brought the most terrible wars in history, as nations now armed with the mighty wepons capitalism has enabled them to create struggle for resources and domination. It has intensified the effect of famines, indeed created them, by subjecting nations to dependence on cash crops that are subject to the vageries of weather and markets. It has polarized the wealth it has created, so that a few thousand people in the rich countries have more wealth than the poorest half of the Earth's six billion. And so forth.

Historical communism, on the other hand, involved great and terrible slaughters--the Soviet collectizativazation famine and the Chinese Great Leap Forward famine, neither intended, both perfectly foreseeable; as well as many millions of deaths due to repression. At the asme time, Communsim made it possible for many poor people to have a decent life that would have been denied them under capitalism. After all, what capitalism has to offer people in the third world is not, for the most part, what we have, but unending degradation, exploitation, and starvation. A Salvadoran peasant who woke up in Cuba would think she'd died and gone to heaven. Free, quality medical care! Good education! Yeah, sure, food is short: it was shorter in El Salvador. Yeah, you can't criticize the government. But you couldn't in El Salvadoe.

So it's not a one-off. Ask a Russian today if he was better of ten or fifteen years ago. But that doesn't make the old USSR a good model. Stalinism is unacceptable. But it's over. Capitalism _is_ unacceptable. The question is still, can we do better?

--jks