marxism on wgn-fm

George Thomas george.thomas at graffiti.net
Mon Feb 19 21:07:13 PST 2001

Joseph Raso: I'm no apologist for the USSR but it should be noted that repression in the Soviet Union and its satellites during the second half of the 20th century (post-Stalin) was not remotely comparable to the scale and savagery of repression in the capitalist Third World during the same period.

See, now that's exactly what I objected to earlier. Davis ostensibly outlines problems with authoritarian imperialism's response to natural catastrophe, but here, you are saying capitalism itself is culpable, when a.i. is not the only form of capitalism. So unless you are privy to additional evidence to base your claim on, you wrongly conflate capitalism (an economic system) with authoritarianism (or totalitarianism, forms of rule). What examples would you bring forth to show that capitalism itself (and not a dictator or other despot) is at fault?

George Thomas