Anti-Semitism of Certain Famous Economists

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Feb 20 04:00:16 PST 2001

On Mon Feb 19 2001, J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:

> [Hayek speaking as part of an oral interview in mid-1980s]: "Not my
> family, my family is on [sic] the purely Christian group; but in the
> university context I entered into the mixed group. And there were
> several things which I must confess I resented among our Jewish
> friends. The worst was that I was not allowed to speak about Jewish
> things; they did that all the time. Even the theme of 'Has he a Jewish
> accent?' was constantly discussed among them; if I would have said a
> word about it, it would have been bitterly resented."

To be fair to Hayek (and no, I don't know why, it's just a custom with me) this doesn't sound like anti-semitism so much as him resenting silent Jewish anti-Germanism that he felt he personally didn't deserve. (And yes, I know he's Austrian. But for Jews that hate Germans, that's considered a hair-splitting distinction.)

Michael