UNITE

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 07:38:07 PST 2001

>the bourgeois press and economists like Desai and Bhagwati whose
>origins are in the "Third World" but who have been thoroughly
>bourgeoisified. Desai is a member of the House of Lords, for heaven's
>sake;

Desai I mainly know from several books from the 1970s and 80s, one of which is a mathematical reconstruction of Marxian economics, and other was an attack on monetarism. Has he been gathered into orthodoxy with his elevation to the House of Lords? Not all Lords are reactionary, of course, those most are: Bertrand Russell was a Lord. (rescued from a plane wreck in the sea in 1950s, he was found happily imbibing the rum in the life raft. "I was drunk as a lord," he told the press, "but then of course I am one." At the time he aws organizing mass sit-ins against the Bomb and getting arrested; he was in his eighties.) Wasn't Tony Benn also? but I believe he gave it up to enter the Commons. --jks _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com