The poverty of AntiNike (wasRe: Nike iD)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Feb 20 07:55:47 PST 2001

At 07:21 AM 2/20/01 -0800, you wrote:
>from today's Sacramento Bee:
>
>Diana Griego Erwin: Nike -- 'Sweatshop' order not funny
>
>Freedom. Individuality. Innovation. It's a dog-eat-dog
>world on the edge of hip. Just ask Nike.

I looked into this, calling Jonah, to verify -- it would have been an example useful in my work. What I don't quite get is why Jonah has a pair of Nikes to begin with and why there should be outrage that Nike wouldn't stitch "sweatshop" on the sneakers. Gimme a break! this is a foolish request, given all their disclaimers on NikeiD. i'm not defending Nike, per se, but really, who gives a crap that Nike doesn't want to make a profit by putting just any old thing on their products?!

What is wrong with this picture?

Would jonah ask for a pic of the 55 yo woman working on the warehouse floor in ----(whatever location where Nike deposits and ships their equipment for US distribution). she makes a living at, say, $8.50/hr. would jonah be able to feel similarly outraged. would jonah have been capable of the snide request were it for that woman?

no, probably not.

feh.

kelley