marxism on wgn-fm

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 20 08:22:03 PST 2001

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>>All sane advocates of market economies recognize that they need
>>social democratic control to correct for externalities
>
>Do you think that most members of your profession, at least the
>American ones, would agree? My guess is not, so that would make most
>economists insane.
>
>Doug

I could insert a long mealy-mouthed explanation here. But let me be short: Yes. Many (most?) economists are not right in the head--relying on some ill-thought-out Coasian bargaining process to deal with externalities, and not thinking about the connection between distribution and social welfare at all.

Brad DeLong