The poverty of AntiNike (wasRe: Nike iD)

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 10:55:12 PST 2001

In a message dated 2/20/2001 11:44:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com writes:

> I looked into this, calling Jonah, to verify -- it would have been an
> example useful in my work. What I don't quite get is why Jonah has a pair
> of Nikes to begin with and why there should be outrage that Nike wouldn't
> stitch "sweatshop" on the sneakers. Gimme a break! this is a foolish
> request, given all their disclaimers on NikeiD. i'm not defending Nike,
> per se, but really, who gives a crap that Nike doesn't want to make a
> profit by putting just any old thing on their products?!

What is wrong is that you seem to be missing the panorama for the details. It was a quite ingenious way of pointing out -- and bringing a great deal of attention -- to the contradictions between the corporate image Nike would like to promote and the dirty, filthy reality of their daily operations. You seem to have entirely missed that.

Poverty of political imagination, in my humble view.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --