Marxism etc.

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:57:06 PST 2001

Leo, this is tiresome. You must always be red-baiting. I am an unlikely target. If it weren't for you, I'd be the local right-winger. I am a fan of Hayek market economics. I am a long-time, proud, and unshamed liberal democrat. I have sworn several times to defend the Constitution of the United States, and I meant it. (I have some amendments I'd like to see, of course.) I am not a Leninist. I make no pretense to "revolutionary" credentials. In a practical sense,I have no idea what it would be to be a "revolutionary" in an advanced capitalist country today, and neither does anyone else. I was making fun of the idea of bloody red revolution. I have slammed Stalinism--here! on this list! during the last few days!--as hard as could be. I do not think, however, that armed struggle, in places where it makes sense, necessarily leads to the Gulag: the Sandinista experiment, among others, shows otherwise. That does not mean that it mskes sense as a political steategy.

And my point about social democracy was not the we should reconcile ourselves to it as all we can get--I still think that we can do better--but that everyone on this list supports it, at least as far as it goes. You say you support it too, but I don't think so. You ally yourself with forces who are basically committed not to advancing it, but to explaining and justifying why we can't get it, and to opposing all those forces and activities that might help achieve it. Who is iot who wants the ocean without the awful roar of its waters? I think it is clear what side you are on. You are a Democrat, but no democrat.

--jks