kids v. economists

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Feb 20 19:48:11 PST 2001

There are a couple of other factors that also explain the absence of jobs for radicals.

First of all, only a few graduate programs offer anything for radicals. Right off the top, these graduates are regarded as second-class economists, because they do not concentrate on the technical skills, but devote some time to learn about the real world.

Even more, elite schools hire other elite schools. But these schools discourage radicals. Winning the support of a famous economist is very important in getting getting a job and highly ranked university. But very few famous economists are supported of radicals. During the '60s, some famous economists helped to promote the careers of some of the radicals at Harvard. Nothing like that has happened since that I can think of.

Also, elite schools recognize works publish in elite journals. These journals, with the exception of the Journal of Economic Perspectives do not publish radicals articles. What most economists know about Marx is that he has nothing worthwhile to say about anything. He favors gulags and the butchering of babies.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu