Bhagwati and the WTO

Brad Mayer concrete at dnai.com
Sun Feb 18 12:20:56 PST 2001

>One of several surprises in a two-hour interview was this moment, which should >make everyone think again about the World Trade Organization (WTO). The >"weighted voting formula" refers to the arrangement in the IMF and World Bank >nown as the Bretton Woods Institutions), which weights countries' votes >ccording to their income, thereby giving the dominant role to the U.S. and other >rich countries - unlike the WTO, which gives every country a single vote.

and

>Most NGOs don't realize that the WTO is not the preferred institution of the rich >countries.

Kinda like a hedge fund is not a preferred instrument of investment.

All the more reason to smash up this front organization for "The Quad". It is nothing but an attempt to integrate the peripherial finance ministries with the imperial center. Why do you think they held it in Seattle? Why will the next one be held in Quatar, likely in the midst of empires' middle eastern death revel?

"Democracy" my ass. It's time we move beyond the spent form of representational republicanism to direct mass democracy. Machiavelli is finished.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA

PS: We need to find a way to make use of the Bhagwatis' of the world w/o transmitting their rhetoric amongst us. Kinda like Lenin and Struve. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010218/6a2e9755/attachment.htm>