marxism on wgn-fm

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Wed Feb 21 08:00:43 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad DeLong" <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>
> Well, if we want to compare apples with apples, I would suggest the
> following taxonomy of economies:
>
> A. Centrally-Planned Economies
> B. Plan-Heavy Economies with Some Worker Control
> C. Social-Market Economies
> D. Free-Market Economies
>
> And the following taxonomy of polities:
>
> 1. Pure Totalitarian Terror
> 2. Authoritarian Dictatorship
> 3. Oligarchic Politics
> 4. Party-Centered Mass Politics
> 5. Media-Centered Mass Politics
> 6. A Free Society of Associated Producers
>
> And I see no examples of 6.

There were many agrarian and hunter-gatherer societies which were 6 or came close to it. Also, Spain for a brief period in the '30s and Ukraine during the Russian Revolution would qualify as 6.

Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ - http://www.anarchistfaq.org

"The State is a condition, a certain relationship between human beings, a mode of human behavior; we destroy it by contracting other relationships, by behaving differently" - Gustav Landauer