kids v. economists

Suresh Naidu antikafka at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 09:28:22 PST 2001

This thread is interesting, partly because I'm one of the kids...being heavily into the anti-sweatshop student movement here in Ontario, but also because I hopefully will get into one of the three radical Ph.D. economics programs I've applied to(UMass at Amherst, UC at Riverside, and the New school. find out soon, I guess). But, it is also interesting to note that I'm finishing an undergraduate degree in pure mathematics and philosophy, with practically no economics courses. I've audited a few senior level economics courses, and they were a) really easy(maybe because I was so interested in the material, and because of my mathematics background) its just supply equals demand in arbitrary dimensions AFAICT, and b) full-on right-wing ideology. So I can see why any radical undergrad would think that economics is just brainwashing, at least at the undergraduate level. Given the general aversion to techie-math stuff often encountered among lefty students, this becomes even worse. I'm a firm believer in tearing down the master's house with his own tools, so I like using mathematics in economics...If the bourgeois economists like it so much, lets pin them to the wall with it.

A real shame because my own reading on the subject has made me horribly interested in the work conducted at the above institutions, and there is so much cool stuff waiting to be expanded on. Ideology, class, exploitation, all need to be thrown back into the economics debate(Like the stuff John Roemer did).

The only people I can engage with on lefty economics are the odd marxist political science prof... Even my one Marxist economics prof is fully of the belief that the left is politically dead, even if it is intellectually interesting...