'Facing History'

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Feb 21 11:38:55 PST 2001

At 01:10 PM 2/21/01 -0500, kelley wrote:
>http://www.nizkor.vex.net/features/qar/qar00.html
>the above URL was at Boston Latin's Web site, mentioned in the Article below.

an example of yoshie's crits of multicultistuds, the above. too bad they can't go it a step further, eh?

http://www.newdemocracyworld.org/facing2.htm FACING HISTORY: HOW WORKING CLASS GERMANS FOUGHT THE NAZIS (Part II) By John Spritzler Editor's Note: Part I of this article (New Democracy, May-June 2000) shows that the high school curriculum on the Holocaust, "Facing History And Ourselves," lies when it teaches one million students a year that most ordinary Germans supported Hitler's rise to power and the Nazis' destruction of the Jews. ANTISEMITISM: AN ELITE WEAPON Facing History and Ourselves identifies human nature as the source of antisemitism and other prejudices. Its resource book begins with chapters devoted to this theme. One unit on stereotypes and prejudice cites a psychologist who writes: "[W]e tend to see others as representatives of groups. It's a natural tendency...But [it] has unfortunate consequences." The resource book's introduction quotes a former student: "This course made me look inside myself. I for one know that I have felt prejudice toward someone of some other group. These things are all a part of being a human being, but cooperation, peace and love are ingredients also." Facing History's central theme is that bigotry stems from people's nature as human beings, but that people also have the potential to resist this impulse and to act morally and courageously. This central point, however, is wrong. Bigotry does not stem from human nature; it is fomented by elites who use it as a method of social control. Facing History's description of Nazi antisemitic propaganda divorces it completely from its role as an elite weapon against the German working classes. Facing History in this way deflects attention from the real source of the problem of bigotry and blames ordinary people instead. <...>