Freeing Uncle Ben from the Box: A Request

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Wed Feb 21 15:41:22 PST 2001

The NYT reports a pretty one-sided argument between Renée Cox, the painter of Yo Mama's Last Supper, and William Donohue, the president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. See http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/21/arts/21EXHI.html

She says "I have a right to interpret the Last Supper just as Leonardo da Vinci created the Last Supper with people who look like him," she said.

I think she wins hands down, no contest.

Anyhow, I've been out of it or something. The article mentions that she caused a stir before with a photo of herself posing as Superhero liberating Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben from their boxes. Le Monde made it the cover of one of their editions.

Anyhow, does any lbo-ster where I can get a jpg or gif of that cover. That one tickles my funnybone.

-- John K. Taber