kids v. economists

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 22 07:23:58 PST 2001

There seems to be a consensus that the discipline of economics is rigid and averse to radical thought. I am not sure that is correct. It seems to me that the discipline is quite prone to radical lurches in one direction or another. The paradigm shift from Keynes to Friedman seems pretty radical and sudden to me. If universities were really so conservative, how do we explain this paradigm shift?

Overall, I think the discipline of economics (as a departure from political economy) is very new and unsettled terrain. The fad for abstract formalization will probably be wiped out with the next paradigm shift.

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA